Thursday, October 06, 2005

Tendentious Thursdays; Seven Deadly Sins

Hey party people! What’s really gotcha goin’ this week. This was been one of those weeks that has come and I’m glad is going. It’s been a trip from my friend that I wrote about earlier in the week to seeking another income stream (more on that later) but all in all it’s a (as gossip quen Flo Anthony says) a “Friday Eve” and I thinkt hat I’m gonna borrow an idea for a spell from some other cool bloggers X and Organized Noise.

*in my best Charleton Heston voice* “I dub theeeeee Tendentious Thurrrrsdays.

Ten.den.tious adj. Promoting a particular point of view; biased

I have decided to hold an open forum with my fellow bloggers on the merits and questions the “Seven Deadly Sins” bring to mind. Each Thursday, I will discuss a new sin. Today’s sin is *drumroll*….

ENVY

Envy is a common sin of which I too have been guilty of. I have found myself more often than I should being envious of someone’s success because “I haven’t been able to get to the place where I’d thought I’d be at this age…..”. I have been envious of people that have unlimited wealth and can just “pick” and choose what they want to do today. I have been envious of stay at home Mom’s who can AFFORD to stay and home AND maintain a comfortable middle-class lifestyle. I have not found the keys to any of those things that I have named above.

Envy at times is good because it can be a motivator. If you envy a young lady’s position on the swim team in high school, it may inspire you to forge ahead. As a matter of fact, envy can sometimes be transformed into a positive for the person experiencing it.

I have had people be envious of me and though I sooo didn't see why but(I'm just bein' me).....they were. Made me a lil uncomfy too.

I am sure that there have been times in everyone's life when they were envious at someone's good looks, their status, their abilities, or their lives in general. Envy can be the most destructive because it can surface in almost ANY situation. But does it always have to be that way?

It can turn dangerous and may take advantage of your mind at a high cost in some instances. I was recently watching Dateline or 20/20 and there was a story about this girl who was in foster care, who envied this particular couple of girls, that she tried to be them, tried to turn some of their other friends against them in hopes that they would cling to her, etc. The bad part was, that they were not to be fucked with. One girl hatched a plan with another girl to beat the girl up because she was spreading lies about her to her friends after the girl had stolen her phone book and used it to make calls to the friends. The end all and be all is that through a series of weird events, a young woman, who was friends with the young woman that hatched the plan, killed the envious girl. Wow. I want to be like you and envy you and now, death is the result?Naw..... that just isn't right.

Envy is one of the most potentially destructive sins in my opinion.

What do you envy?
Have you even been VERY envious?
Of what or whom and why?
Do you know people who are very envious?


Things that make you go hmmmm……..


Thoughtfully yours,
r.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I have NOT read this entry yet, because I can't stop laughing at the song you have on here, becuase it SOOO reminds me of Napolean Dynamite GETTING DOWN!!! ROFLMAO I can't stop chuckling. LOL

brooklyn babe said...

Can't say I fit the bill... I envy no one, but admire many...

Chubby Chocolate said...

I've been jealous of others from time to time, but not envious...I'm too full of myself!

However, I have been the brunt of envious people who have dubbed themselves my friend. You get accused of showing off when you're trying to share your successes or overcoming challenges.That's one of the reasons why I have only three people I can seriously call a friend and the rest are kept at bay.

Organized Noise said...

First of all, why do I have to be referred to as "this blogger"? Secondly, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I am very flattered. I just wish I could have done this topic first. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Now, as far as your questions . . .

1. I would define envy as being mad someone did it first.

2. Yes, I've been envious of people before

3. Too many people to list, usually because of who they were dating

4. Yes, I know people who are envoius, even if they won't admit it.

Come see me on Tuesday!!!!!

Disco said...

@X:yoooou are hilarious! and you reminded me that I needed to change the music!!!!!! Z:-)

@Zed: *sigh*....welllll. you said it , I didn't :-)

@Org. Noise: LOL!! I'm sorry sweetie!@ I was being a lazeeeee ass when I put "this blogger".... LOL pleeeeeze 4-give me!! And I love your thought provoking tuesdays!!!! I will be coming ta visit you!

Knockout Zed said...

Electric Relaxation!!! Oh my god!!!!

I miss Quest.

KZ

Organized Noise said...

All is forgiven

Disco said...

@org. noise: YEA!!!!!*jumping up and down*

LadyLee said...

In my early 20's I was envious/covetous of people, especially when I was struggling through graduate school. But now, through a lot of practice, I can't say that I envy anyone. I put all that energy into being thankful for what I HAVE. Why? Because it took a lot of prayer and help from God to get me to the point where I am. For me, it's insane to envy others. It's just not fair to God. ('Scuse me for getting religious on ya, Robyn, but soon as I realized that, then envy and covetousness dissipated in my life).

Plus, you never know what is going on in people's lives. Sure, everything may be wonderful on the outside (nice car, nice family, nice job, nice home, everthing perfect), but who's to say what secret tormentious problems a person has? Heck, just look at the story you told of the envious girl.

I know envious people, and I avoid them like the plague. I told one person, make a list of all of your blessings, and refer to it each time you're jealous of what someone else has... That'll jerk the envious mindset out of you... Really though...