Friday, February 15, 2008

V-Day doesn't have to equal D-Day!

Hey all!!!

So, yesterday was The BIG V-DAY! I know that there are plenty of women who were feeling down because of the fact that they were not with someone. At periods in my life, I was that woman.

The fact of the matter is that it is O.K. if you like the cards and flowers and candy! It is O.K. of you love the fact that everyone at work sees that you got some flowers, but it is also O.K. if you don;t have anyone to love but you. It took me a long time to realize that. A long time.

I still like all the "commercialized things" that come with this and other days (i.e sweetest day...it's a midwest thing for all of ya'll that DON'T know... :-)) but if all me & my husband do is wish each other a "Happy Valentine's Day" or a "Happy Sweetest Day" , that is good with me too :-) (now.....don't talk about birthdays... that's a whole other situation! LOL)


Anyway as a sidebar, in a related post I read, there were some things that REALLY made some sense to me....These are quotes from Funky Fresh's page regarding his thoughts on V-day. In terms of those of us in relationships, this day can have a variety of meanings , but I think that the following sentiment applies to everyday life when it comes to those in relationships, not just for this day:

I used to be a “I don’t celebrate” the day type of dude. But the older I got, the more I realized that if a card, a gift, a romantic dinner, flowers, whatever, makes her happy, then I’m doing it. It may not be a big deal for me, but it’s a big deal for her and since she’s with me, it’s a big deal for me.

And this, my friends is the way it should frickin be! If it is a big deal to ME (or vice versa) it should be a big deal to my huaband/boyfriend, etc. Why can't more men be like that??? Maybe it's not in their DNA! Take my husband for example, it took him a minute to understand and take it seriously that I feel VERY strongly about my birthday and Christmas!!! (however commercialized those days may be....whatever, it's my feelings that count!) But he finally got it! I just think that if the man gives a damn, YOUR FEELINGS will matter and if they don't....people there is a problem in Zamunda..... LOL

Another of Fresh's thoughts on love......

Third, some of you are with someone right now who you are trying to figure out. You have all of these needs and wants. You want love but you don’t feel like you’re getting it. For one thing, make sure you’re not in love with the concept of love. Be in love with the value of love.

I like this one too. When you are young you think you know what love it, but you haven't EXPERIENCED all of the facets of love until you come to that place where you just know that you know. I know that I am much more sure of love and it's place in my life, but I have also learned to love myself more.

Feel me?

No comments: